Get Adobe Flash player

Tuguegarao City


Once the only first class municipality in the province, Tuguegarao is now a component city, its conversion affirmed in a plebiscite held on December 18 1999.

Though not a big municipality in terms of area, with just 14,480 hectares in its name, Tuguegarao boasts of a very high rate of socio-economic development.tuguegaraocitylgu

The word "tuguegarao" was developed from either of the following: "garao" (swift river current), "taraw" (a specie of palm tree whose trunk is used for many things) and "tuggui gari yao" (this was cleared by fire). The last seems plausible if interpreted to mean that the areas pointed to by the natives to the first Spaniards was a "kaingin."

The written history of Tuguegarao begins with its founding as a "mission-pueblo" on May 9, 1604, with Fray Tomas Villa, O.P. as first vicar. He initiated the construction of a temporary church with Saint Peter and Saint Paul as patron saints.

It was in 1724 when the San Jacinto Chapel, the first structure to be made of brick and mortar, was constructed by the Dominicans. Then Father Antonio Lobato, O.P. laid out and developed the straight, east-west/south-north oriented streets of Tuguegarao. And in 1761, Father Lobato started the construction of the Saint Peter's Cathedral which was finished in 1768. Father Geronimo de Zamora, O.P. was at one time parish priest of Tuguegarao. He later became Rector of the University of Santo Tomas and first president of the Colegio de San Juan de Letran.

The most important act the Spanish authorities made was the transfer of the provincial capital in 1839 from Lallo to Tuguegarao, in recognition of this town socio- economic progress catalyzed by the opening of the Cagayan-Manila road in November, 1738 by Fray Jose Martin.

With the provincial government came the Spanish civil and religious officials, more soldiers and the Guardia Civil. The Spanish Governors were: Don Rafael Martinez, 1886; Don Ignacio Chacon, 1890; Don Enrique Altamirano, 1894 and 1898; Don Antonio Marquez, 1895; and Don Demetrio Caminas, 1896.

During this formative period of Tuguegarao, the trend in its development was on education. In 1896, Don Vicente Nepomuceno (the man who wrote the history of Cagayan in Ybanag dialect) venture to open a school in the later part of that year. Don Ricardo Tuyuan and Don Vicente Pagalilauan were the first instructors. Spanish grammar, Latin, Greek, geography and mathematics were the subjects taught.

In 1907, the Dominicans opened another, the Colegio Sagrado Corazon de Jesus, exclusively for children, it was run by the French Religious Sisters of Saint Paul of Chartres. Another school, this time for the public, was built during the term of municipal president Esteban Quinto. After further investment on educational institutions, the far-sighted Cagayanos reverted their interest to Fourth Estate. The following publications were considered reputable:
El Porvenir, Don Pablo Salo's Noticiero, Don Honorio Lasam's El Voz del Pueblo or La Verdad (also published in Aparri), and Don Nicanor's Sinceridad.

The United States entered the Philippine picture when President Mc Kinley passed the initiative to the U.S. Congress on April 11, 1898. At this time, General Emilio Aguinaldo who had been living in exile in Hong Kong returned to the Philippines and led a patriotic declaration of independence from Spain. The First Philippine Republic, with Aguinaldo as President, became operative in January 1899. But almost immediate, trouble started between the United States troops and Filipinos who had grown weary of foreign colonizers.

Unites States troops led by Bachelor occupied Tuguegarao on December 12, 1899 and billeted themselves at the San Jacinto College. Colonel Hood, by wire from Washington, was appointed military governor of Cagayan, dispatched soldiers to augment Bachelor's force.

In 1902, the Filipinos were finally convinced by American assurance of Filipino self- government through peaceful means. Simultaneously, improvements in Tuguegarao were realized. The first Provincial Capitol was built during the administration of Governor Pablo Guzman. It was completed in 1909 by Governor Antonio Carag. The town hall was built during the administration of Don Antonio Soriano. The public market was built during the incumbency of Don Honorio Lasam.

The municipal board, during the administration of Governor Gracio Gonzaga, purchased the residence of George Weber, to house the provincial high school. The Cagayan Trade School was founded by Claude Andrews, an American educator. Governor Fermin Macanaya constructed the Cagayan High School building in 1922, completed by Governor Proceso Sebastian in 1923.

The peaceful life given by the Americans to the people of Tuguegarao and all Filipinos turned into chaos when Japanese forces in a simultaneous attack on the United States and the Philippines, landed in Luzon in December 8, 1944 (Immaculate Conception Day). Tuguegarao was bombed on this day.

Governor Marcelo Adduru transferred the provincial government to Tuao on December 10, 1944. The Japanese Imperial Army occupied Tuguegarao on December 12. The people evacuated the town, but returned, late in 1942 and early 1943, the Japanese occupation command appointed Nicanor Carag as Governor and Domingo Gosiengfiao as Municipal Mayor. The Kempetai (Japanese military police) instituted judgement without the benefit of any trial. Potential spies were tortured to death.

United States Air Force planes began bombing Tuguegarao in December 1944 and relentlessly continued the air raids, reducing the town to complete rubble, including the Cathedral. Early in June 1945, Filipino Guerillas entered Tuguegarao and found the Japanese had gone. Tuguegarao was officially liberated in June 25, 1945.

President Sergio Osmeña, Jr. appointed Governor Marcelo Adduru as Secretary of Labor in his cabinet, and appointed Baldomero Perez as provincial governor. After Independence, President Manuel Roxas appointed Engineer Peregrino Quinto as governor of Cagayan in the 1947 elections, Attorney Nicasio Arranz was elected governor and Dr. Venancio del Rosario, Sr. as mayor of Tuguegarao.

Worthy to mention was the holding of the Philippine Interscholastic Athletic Meet on April 9, 1949, here in Tuguegarao, which was officially opened by no less than President Elpidio Quirino.

The Provincial Capitol at Alimannao was constructed under the administration of Governor Nicasio Arranz and the provincial offices transferred to the new building in 1954 at the beginning of the administration of Governor Jose P. Carag.

Tuguegarao has been serving as the Provincial Capital of Cagayan since 1893 because of the notable socio-economic progress of the town.

In 1975, having adequate facilities and amenities aside from being the region's geographic center and having capabilities of serving as the administrative seat of government for the Region, Tuguegarao was declared the regional Capital of Region 02.


Tuguegarao City is a second class city in the province of Cagayan, Philippines. It is the capital city of Cagayan & the regional capital of Region 2, made known to be the Premier Ibanag City. It is located on a peninsula nestled in the verdant Cagayan Valley. It is sheltered by the Sierra Madre Mountains in the East; Cordilleras in the West; and, the Caraballo Mountains in the South. It grew on the banks of the mighty Cagayan River and the swift Pinacanauan River, near the southern border of the province.

The current population is 129,539. Most people are Ybanags, Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Itawes, Pampangos and many other Filipino Ethniticities. Many are also of Chinese and Hindu descent.

The highest recorded temperature in the Philippines and of the Western Pacific Region was in Tuguegarao on April 29, 1912 at 42.2°C (108°F). Average temperature during March and April is 38°C, one of the highest in the Philippines.

The Former Senator Eulogio Balao is a native of this city.

Origin of Name

There are several versions of the origin of the name, Tuguegarao. One is the abundance of "tarrao" trees in the area. Another is "garrao" meaning swift current, possibly of the Pinacanauan River. Another is from the word "tuggui" meaning fire. Another recorded version is, the town was formerly called Twerao by the people of the northern towns. Still another is that the name Tuguegarao comes from two Ibanag words "tuggui" (fire) and "aggao" (day), possibly referring to a daytime fire that happened in the town. The origin of the city's name is unclear.

However, the version most accepted is that the name Tuguegarao comes from the sentence "Tuggui gari yaw", meaning "This was cleared by fire" possibly referring to the kaingin areas pointed by the natives to the Spaniards. This means therefore that the town, Tuguegarao, was carved out of the wilderness by fire.

Founding of the Town

It was a small settlement, in terms of population but was big in territory until 1850s. It was governed as a barangay until the Spaniards gave it the status of mission pueblo established May 9, 1604, making it one of the political units of the province of Cagayan, which then included all the territory which later became the province of Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya and Quirino.

Actually, it was in the year 1600 when the Spaniards first visited Tuguegarao. The natives fled to the outlying wilderness, because they felt that unlike the Chinese, Japanese and Indians who came only to trade, it was clear that the newcomers were here to settle and govern them. The Dominican friars coaxed the natives through evangelization, education and the improvement of livelihood methods. Reforms for social and material upliftment were worked out. Chapels and barrios were built, with each barrio having its own patron saint. Elaborate fiestas were held in honor of the patron saint. Slowly, the natives returned to their homes in the lowland.

As a mission-pueblo and with assigned encomenderos to Tuguegarao, the inhabitants were made to pay taxes in the form of poultry products and other foodstuffs. Resentment flared. The people of Tuguegarao revolved in 1605, killing the encomendero. Again, the people of Tuguegarao revolted in 1718 and then 1761 with a leader named Rivera.

Tuguegarao in the 1980s and 1990

The year 1983 marked the quadricentennial celebration of the establishment of the Civil Government of the Province of Cagayan. In the week long celebration held in Tuguegarao, several Ministers visited the town and province.

New barangays had been formed, so that by 1981, Tuguegarao had 49 barangays, 12 of which were urban. The late 1980s saw the gradual expansion of the urban core of Tuguegarao to the outlying barangays of Ugac, Caritan and Atulayan. With the fast rising prices of real estate in the Poblacion. Residents found it very profitable to sell their houses and lots in the Poblacion and to buy lots in the barangay surrounding the Poblacion, so that they would still be near the market, the schools, their offices and business, the church, the stores and recreation spots.

By 1980, Tuguegarao had a population of 73,507. The increase in population could be attributed to various factors. One is the increasing peace and order problems in the other towns in the region, driving the people to Tuguegarao, which relatively is free of the insurgency problem with the visible presence of the military and due to the town's geographic location. Another factor is the presence of the schools, whose quality of education is highly comparable to that of Metropolitan Manila. Others come because of trade and industry. Another reason is the completion of the Maharlika Highway, which made Region 02 more accessible. Of very great consideration is the town's tremendous improvement in social services and infrastructure facilities since 1975. The immigrants, seeing that the people of Tuguegarao are generally peaceful and gentle and that the town could sufficiently sustain a comfortable life, decide to stay for good. And then, of course, the children and grandchildren of Tuguegarao, after their sojourn in the cities for education, first jobs and professional trainings, come back to Tuguegarao to build their homes and careers.

Tuguegarao's sky line has greatly changed over the years. In the 1980s and 1990s, there are multi-story buildings in the Poblacion, landscaped schools and homes, cable television, air-conditioned buses, jet flights, telegraph and telex services, door-to-door delivery services, domestic and overseas long-distance calls, luxurious social amenities and other trappings of a highly urbanized town. It has been observed that Tuguegarao's Calle Commercio, now called Bonifacio Street improved dramatically after every fire, which happens periodically in this town which was carved out of the wilderness by fire.

Further Development

The city developed gradually, then more rapidly after the provincial capital was transferred from Lallo, in 1839. It was occupied by American troops on December 12, 1899.

During World War II, the city was captured by the Japanese on December 8, 1941, and its airfield was of some significance; the city and airfield were bombed by the US and Philippine regularly between January and May 1945. The Japanese had left by the time Filipino guerrillas helped by entering the town of the Philippine Commonwealth troops came in early June; the town was officially liberated on June 25, 1945.

Tuguegarao was once the only first class municipality in the province of Cagayan. It has served as the provincial capital of Cagayan since 1893 because of the notable socio-economic progress of the town. In 1975, having adequate facilities and amenities aside from being the region's geographic center and having capabilities of serving as the administrative seat of government for the region, Tuguegarao was declared the regional capital of Region II (Cagayan Valley).

The city also boasts colonial buildings like the Saints Peter and Paul Metropolitan Cathedral built in 1761 to 1766 under the supervision of the Spanish Dominicans who came to evangelize Cagayan Valley. The Diocese of Tuguegarao was created by Pope Pius X on December 6, 1911. The cathedral edifice suffered destruction during World War II and as a result lost its pipe organ, three wooden retablos, pulpit,wooden choir loft and the painted wooden ceiling all of which were approximately from the early 18th century. The old convent adjacent to the cathedral church was also razed to the ground during the war and was demolished to make way for a new one. The cathedral was rebuilt by the Belgian Mons. Constance Jurgens. The traditional ringing of the cathedral bells for the Angelus and during Mass is still being practiced today. The oldest brick structure is also found in the city. The Ermita de Piedra de San Jacinto dedicated to Saint Hyacinth is the first parochial building to be built by the Dominican fathers in Tuguegarao. The current structure is the latest in a process of rebuilding beginning in 1724 until 1892 when it was rebuilt after being destroyed in an earthquake. The chapel wasn't damaged during the war and as a result retains its original wooden retablo which dates back to the 18th century.

Tuguegarao as a component city was affirmed in a plebiscite held on December 18, 1999, with Randolph Sera Ting as the first city mayor. As of July 2, 2007, Delfin Telan Ting (who was then a municipal mayor from 1988 to 1998) has been elected to become the 2nd city mayor.


Universities and Colleges

There are several universities and colleges that reside in the city. Majority of the universities and colleges of the Province of Cagayan are in Tuguegarao. The following are the universities and colleges:

  • AMA Computer College (Tuguegarao Campus)
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao (College of Nursing)
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao (offers college of law course) one of best performing law school in the Philippines (Main Campus)
  • Credo Domini College
  • John Wesley College
  • Cagayan State University (Carig Campus)
  • Cagayan State University (Caritan Campus)
  • Central Colleges of the North
  • Florencio L. Vargas College (Tuguegarao Campus)
  • Florencio L. Vargas College (College of Nursing)
  • Maila Rosario College
  • Metropolitan Institute of Technology
  • MCN College
  • St. Paul University Philippines
  • STI College Tuguegarao
  • University of St. Louis Tuguegarao

Moreover, there are numerous technological institutes and vocational institutes that are in the city. The TESDA offers short-term courses to all Cagayanos.

Elementary and High Schools

There are many public and private schools here in Tuguegarao.

  • Atulayan Elementary School
  • Bagay Elementary School
  • Buntun Elementary School
  • Capatan Elementary School
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao/ Grade School Department
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao High School Department
  • Cagayan National High School
  • Carig Elementary School
  • Carig Norte Primary School
  • Caritan Norte Elementary School
  • Cataggaman Elementary School (arguably the best Non-Central School)
  • Cataggaman National High School
  • Cataggaman Nuevo Primary School (Under Construction)
  • Dadda Primary School
  • Gosi Elementary School
  • Gosi National High School
  • John Wesley College High School Department
  • Larion Alto Elementary School
  • Larion Bajo Elementary School
  • Leonarda-Pengue-Ruyu Elementary School
  • Libag Elementary School
  • Linao Elementary School
  • Linao National High School
  • Methodist Christian School
  • Montessori de Cagayan
  • Namabbalan Elementary School
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help Montessori School (Grade School)
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help Montessori School (High School)
  • Pallua Elementary School
  • Pardo Elementary School (Cataggaman Pardo)
  • San Gabriel Elementary School
  • Tagga-Dadda Elementary School
  • St. Clare Montessori School
  • St. Paul University Philippines Grade School Department
  • St. Paul University Philippines High School Department
  • Tuguegarao Central Elementary School (Tuguegarao West Central School) / School of the Future
    Tuguegarao City Science High School (new school)
  • Ugac Sur Elementary School
  • University of St. Louis Grade School Department
  • University of St. Louis High School Department

Daycare Centers

Tuguegarao City has 63 Barangay Daycare Centers operated by the City Social Welfare and Development Office (devolved under the National Department of Social Welfare and Development). Currently, there are about an estimated 2,900 Daycare Pupils who are enrolled. Moreover, there are also several privately operated daycare centers that are scattered in the city.

Specialized Education

Far East Christian Deaf Academy provides education from pre-school to middle school operated and funded by the Church of the Living God at Sharon Village, Barangay Cataggaman Nuevo.

International Students

Students from China, Congo, India, Nigeria, Pakistan and South Korea have come to study at St. Paul University Philippines and Cagayan State University. Most of the international students have come to study degrees such as Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Secondary Education and Doctor of Medicine.


Region Cagayan Valley (Region II)
Province Cagayan
District 3rd District
Barangays 49
Income class  1st Class
Mayor Hon. Delfin T. Ting
ZIP Code 3500






When the early Spanish missionaries were busy laying the foundation of a church late in the 1500s at a site about six kilometers from the present town of Tuao, a big bird came circling over them and then alighted on the wooden cross erected to mark the place where the corner stone was laid. It flapped its wings noisily, cried "battuao, battuao, battuao" and then flew away.

The native laborers in the construction stopped working and refused to continue telling the priests that the site had not been well chosen. They insisted that a party should find out where the bird had flown to.

To humor the pagan natives, one of the priests allowed himself to be led by a party of natives to look for the mysterious bird. To his surprise, they found the bird serenely perched on top of a tall tree on the edge of a wide clearing ideal for a town site. He sent one of the natives to call for the other priests, who, on their arrival, found the place much to their liking. And so the first church of Tuao was constructed on the site where the present edifice now stands.

When the civil authorities founded the town in 1604, the natives insisted that it be called Tuao. Eight years later on May 13, 1612, Tuao was accepted ecclesiastically. Father Miguel de San Jacinto, O.P. gave the town Santos Angeles Custudios (Holy Guardian Angels) as its patron saints.

The early missionaries in Tuao were zealous evangelists and tactful pacifiers of warlike natives. One of them was Father Francisco Capillas who later became the first martyr in China. The first parish priest, Father Juan B. Cano, O.P. worked patiently with the people.

A late comer, Father Gabriel Serrano, O.P. built a strong brick and mortar church, a rectory (convento) and a fort (cotta) in which the Spaniards and the natives sought refuge every time the town was raided by the Kalingas from the Caraballo ranges. Unfortunately, these priceless monuments to the politicalization and evangelization of Tuao by the Spaniards were destroyed by a strong earthquake on December 29, 1949.

In protest of abuses committed by some Spanish civil petty officials and soldiers, the inhabitants of Tuao and neighboring Malaueg, rose in revolt in 1781 under Magtangaga and Tomas Sinaguingan. The uprising was put down by Capitan Juan Pablo de Orduna.

Tuao became famous nationwide during World War II as the seat of the successful renaissance government of Governor Marcelo Adduru. The Japanese Forces garrisoned the town when Adduru was captured late in 1943, but Adduru returned shortly after having been freed by his guerilla soldiers early in 1944 and with his contact with Blackburn, staged from Tuao stronger guerilla actions against the Japanese in Tuguegarao.

After the war, the inhabitants work in silent diligence. Most of them used their brawn to make living, they are independent from outside help and are friendly people.


Tuao is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Cagayan, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 57,154 people in 10,390 households.

Tuao is politically subdivided into 32 barangays.

  • Accusilian
  • Alabiao
  • Alabug
  • Angang
  • Bagumbayan
  • Barancuag
  • Battung
  • Bicok
  • Bugnay
  • Balagao
  • Cagumitan
  • Cato
  • Culong
  • Dagupan
  • Fugu
  • Lakambini
  • Lallayug
  • Malumin
  • Mambacag
  • San Vicente
  • Mungo
  • Naruangan
  • Palca
  • Pata
  • San Juan
  • San Luis (Gurengad)
  • Santo Tomas
  • Taribubu
  • Villa Laida
  • Poblacion I (Ward I Centro)
  • Poblacion II (Ward II Centro)
  • Malalinta


Region Cagayan Valley (Region II)
Province Cagayan
District 3rd District
Barangays 32
Income Class 2nd Class
Mayor Hon. William  N. Mamba
ZIP Code 3528



Physical Characteristics

Area 215.50 km²
Population 57,154


Santa Teresita


Youngest town of Cagayan, it was born in 1963. Originally the biggest barangay of Buguey, it is 113.7 kilometers away from Tuguegarao.
A 6th class municipality and with 19 barangays, Sta. Teresita is dependent on its riceland, gold, oil and manganese resources, although the Iluko-speaking residents augment their income by engaging in native crafts.

The name Teresita comes from former Governor Teresa Dupaya, wife of former Congressman Tito Dupaya, who passed the bill for its creation.


Santa Teresita is a 4th class municipality in the province of Cagayan, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 16,578 people in 2,776 households.

Sta. Teresita is politically subdivided into 13 barangays.

  • Alucao
  • Buyun
  • Centro East (Pob.)
  • Centro West
  • Dungeg
  • Luga
  • Masi
  • Mision
  • Simpatuyo
  • Villa
  • Aridawen
  • Caniogan
  • Simbaluca


Region Cagayan Valley (Region II)
Province Cagayan
District 1st District
Barangays 13
Income Class 4th Class
Mayor Hon. Lolita D. Garcia
ZIP Code 3512



Physical Characteristics

Area 166.98 km²
Population 16,578


Santo Niño


It was said that this community grew around the place where a native chieftain and the leader of a team of Spanish soldiers from Nueva Segovia met and struck friendship by exchanging gifts--the latter reciprocating with a box of "imitation jewelry."

The community was first known as Tabang, later changed to "Cabarungan" and still later to Sto. Niño. Then, by virtue of Executive Order No. 2390, dated February 23, 1914, issued in response to the petition of the residents, Sto. Niño was changed to Faire.

The village of Tabang grew in population and a certain level of socio-economic importance. The natives took to dressing like the Europeans and through the zealous efforts of the missionaries, embraced the new Catholic faith. As a reward, the Spanish authorities in Nueva Segovia caused the construction of a church in Tabang in 1731.

Years later, a barangay of people from Dingras, Ilocos Norte, settled in Tabang. One of the Ilocano immigrants was Manuel Faire who was the first resident in the town of Cordoba to which Tabang belonged then. There he met and married Felicitas, the beautiful sister of Capitan Ubaldo Pagulayan.

Through hard work and thrift, and with his marriage to the family of a landholder, Manuel Faire became an influential community leader himself. Because he demonstrated his concern for the welfare and well being of the people, both Ilocanos and natives, he won their affection and respect. The people built a big house for him and his beautiful wife.

Through his examples, and with the farm technology brought in by his fellow Ilocano immigrants, the people raised good crops of corn, rice, coconut and tobacco. It is said that he was one of the signatories to the founding of Sto. Niño on November 27, 1897. The grateful people perpetuated his memory by petitioning the authorities concerned for the renaming of their town from Sto. Niño to Faire, approved on February 28, 1914.

In the 1960s, the town of Faire was marked prominently on the map of Cagayan when the STANVAC invested some $3 million in oil exploration there. Although drilling was abandoned, the venture catalyzed economic activity in the municipality.


Santo Niño is a 4th class municipality in the province of Cagayan, Philippines. It is formerly known as Faire. According to the latest census, it has a population of 25,688 people in 4,387 households.

Santo Niño is politically subdivided into 31 barangays.

  • Abariongan Ruar
  • Abariongan Uneg
  • Balagan
  • Balanni
  • Cabayo
  • Calapangan
  • Calassitan
  • Campo
  • Centro Norte (Pob.)
  • Centro Sur (Pob.)
  • Dungao
  • Lattac
  • Lipatan
  • Lubo
  • Mabitbitnong
  • Mapitac
  • Masical
  • Matalao
  • Nag-uma (Nagbayugan)
  • Namuccayan
  • Niug Norte
  • Niug Sur
  • Palusao
  • San Manuel
  • San Roque
  • Santa Felicitas
  • Santa Maria
  • Sidiran
  • Tabang
  • Tamucco
  • Virginia


Region Cagayan Valley (Region II)
Province Cagayan
District 2nd District
Barangays 20
Income Class 3rd Class
Mayor Hon. Andrew Vincent R. Pagurayan
ZIP Code 3525



Physical Characteristics

Area 512.90 km²
Population 25,688


Santa Praxedes


Formerly Langgangan, Santa Praxedes can claim an exclusive situation which no other town in Cagayan was ever in. In 1917, Langgangan was plucked from Mountain Province to become part of Cagayan but because of boundary dispute it was decided that it had to go to the more aggressive Ilocos Norte. Finally in 1922, by an executive order, it was decided that it really belongs to Cagayan.stapraxedeslgu

It was inhabited by Itnegs and Apayaos only to be overwhelmed by Ilocano migrants who now make this 11,000 hectares town their home.

Fishing is the main livelihood of the people which includes area weed gathering that results to having the dried seaweed
"gamet" for a delicacy. Natural resources like oil, gold and forest products are likewise abound.

202 kilometers away from Tuguegarao and much nearer to Ilocos Norte having for a neighbor the famous town of Pagudpod. It has 18 barangays and is presently a 6th class municipality.


Santa Praxedes is a 5th class municipality in the province of Cagayan, Philippines, named after St. Praxedes. According to the latest census, it has a population of 3,379 people in 601 households.

Santa Praxedes is politically subdivided into 10 barangays.

  • Cadongdongan
  • Capacuan
  • Centro I (Pob.)
  • Centro II (Pob.)
  • Macatel
  • Portabaga
  • San Juan
  • San Miguel
  • Salungsong
  • Sicul


Region Cagayan Valley (Region II)
Province Cagayan
District 2nd District
Barangays 10
Income Class 5th Class
Mayor Hon. Esterlina A. Aguinaldo
ZIP Code 3521



Physical Characteristics

Area 109.97 km²
Population 3,379




mozillafirefox googlechromeSome browsers may not show the website in its entirety.

aboutcagayan investments tourism latestnewsandevents fulldisclosurepolicy
governorscorner directory downloads newsarchive fulldisclosurearchive

Follow Us

  • Facebook:
  • Twitter:
  • Google+:
  • Flickr:
  • MySpace:
  • YouTube:
  • Bebo:
  • Picasa: